The History of Horton Hardware
Clark Horton, a Coventry farmer and Creamery Manager first opened a farm implement store and wagon repository in Afton in 1894. After becoming actively engaged in the hardware business, Clark and his son Harry fast outgrew their quarters. Construction of "the Big Hardware" store at 198 Main Street began in 1905. C.L. Horton and Son opened on April 26, 1906 to much fanfare and community enthusiasm.
After more than 50 years in the Horton family, Charlie Gaydorus purchased the store from Harry's widow on January 12, 1958. On his first day of work he had to wait outside until the only employee used the only key to let him in. A dairy farmer from Nineveh, Charlie grossed about $16 a day his first year in the hardware business.
In 1970 a two story addition was completed, doubling the size of the store. Televisions, major appliances, and console stereos had a new showroom. In order to expand the Paint, Plumbing, House Wares, and Lawn and Garden departments, the Main Street addition held its grand opening in May 1987. After a fire in 1993 to the adjacent Agway building, construction began to house a Rental Department and Small Engine Repair Shop on the Commercial Street side. These departments opened in 1994.
Charlie's sons Alan and Steve purchased the store in 1996. Soon after Kitchens, Coal, Wood Pellets, Bedding and Carhartt clothing were added to inventory. Today three generations of the Gaydorus family work at Horton Hardware.